At 09:25 -0600 on 02/13/2012, Fritz Anderson wrote about Re: AppleScript file format best practice:

.scpts would be faster. Depending on how large the script is, and how often you use it in a given period, the compilation delay could be a significant annoyance. It would be great if BBEdit cached the compiled form for reuse, but I don't expect it.

I see no reason why in theory it can not be done (with this ability being controlled via a default setting). When you need a script it would check the complied cache first and if not found use the .applescript version (caching it for later reuse). Any editing of the .applescript version would automatically delete the cached version so that the recompile would be done upon first use.