On 6/16/12 at 5:54 AM, ne...@neiltiffin.com (Neil Tiffin) wrote:
Yep, this "modern" api originated in OS 8.5, was marked as legacy in OSX 10.6, is carbon based (IIRC), and will be deprecated in 10.8. Oops.

OMG -- you mean all this time I've been using BBEdit its text rendering has been done by less-than-the-latest technology?? And in the future that technology will be deprecated???!!!

This must be a severe blow to those suffering from the technology disease -- you now, "needing" a new product the moment they heard about it, feeling depressed as soon as a faster model of their current computer is released, always focused on what will come next rather than on what they can do with what's available today.

Don't mean to sound critical of Gabriel or Neil, but IMO these two posts don't help the OP or any other BBEdit users (no one's running 10.8, for one thing). They just feed the disease, stimulating more craving for updates, spreading the idea that BBEdit is somehow defective or behind the times.

The OP had a genuine problem, and it's still not clear to me if it's due to BBEdit, Lion, the MBP Retina Display, or the OP's own settings.

Has anyone else with a Retina MBP had the OP's problem (poor text rendering)?