When I was forced into the same situation, I found that SlickEdit
worked best for me. NP++ is fine for quick and dirty stuff, but for
real work, spend a little money.

I happen to use Araxis Merge because it's fully x-platform.

One key thing: If SlickEdit is being used by other people, you're best
off using it's key-bindings and rebinding your BBEdit to match.  That
way if someone sits at your computer and drives they're not flummoxed.
 Otherwise, just rebind the keys to what you're used to.

I usually prefer to work on a Mac with BBEdit and run Windows as a
VirtualMachine. The VM mounts my Mac workspace as a network drive and
I build there.

- Steve