Since I work in the middle of an ongoing indentation war (you know, tabs
vs. spaces) I have a need for auto-detecting the indentation mode when
opening a file that BBEdit haven't saved an "auto-expand tabs" setting for.
Has anyone created such a script?

I'm not even sure if it's possible to hook a script into opening files, no
matter how a file was opened. I'm only familiar with menu scripts. It
wasn't back in 2009 according to this
thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bbedit/67q66_8HaJ4