I work on different projects with their own conventions, so I face similar
challeneges. One thing that has helped has been convincing people to use
EditorConfig, which BBEdit and most IDEs and editors support. It allows you
to configure indentation formats for different languages, so they can use
two-space indenting for YAML and 4 spaces for JavaScript. So you can leave
your global defaults set to your own preferences and still comply with the
arbitrary and often hare-brained demands of the people you sometimes have
to work with.

Another solution I've toyed with but never actually implemented is using
git hooks to change the formatting of files when they're checked in and
checked out. If it could be done right, we'd be able to use any style we
prefer locally and still have the files formatted appropriately for the
project when we check them in.