Markdown is a reduced instruction set language, as its very name indicates.
It's therefore a poor choice for documents that need the structures and
control over display that it does not provide. Having to use it to address
needs it does not support would make me angry, too. But that's not a
problem with Markdown. It's a problem with forcing its use on projects for
which it is an inappropriate tool.

I write books and articles using Markdown more or less for the same reasons
I use a fountain pen to write on paper: I like the way it feels. It gets me
closer to a sense that it's just me and the words I'm writing. That's
really about it. And obviously that's not an argument why anyone else
should use it.

For the sort of work I do, I don't need tables, equations, or even
graphics. I do need endnotes, which are slightly clunky in Markdown. So I
use a Keyboard Maestro macro that inserts the markup, lets me type in the
content, places the endnote at the end of the document, and returns me to
the endnote's insertion point. I also sometimes use centered asterisks as
intra-section dividers, but Markdown -- not being presentation markup --
doesn't know about centering. So I use a bit of HTML for that, also
inserted via a macro. If I needed a lot more, I'd give up on Markdown and
perhaps go back to writing in HTML.

In truth, I am also a bit more favorably disposed toward Markdown because
my late and dearly missed friend Aaron Swartz was a contributor to its
development. His fingerprints remain on much that is good about the
Internet.