On Nov 27, 2017, at 08:51, Madelyn Bingham <madelyn.bing...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone tell me what makes BBEdit different or better than other code
> editors? I understand it is mostly geared towards Apple Products, but I could
> just as easily download Notepad++ or Brackets on my Macintosh, which seem to
> be more popular. Are there any special features about BBEdit that make it
> special or set it apart? What are some tips and tricks to using this code
> editor?

Plenty of others have echoed my thoughts, especially as Kerri mentions opening
gigantic files and doing search & replace, which kills most other editors.

I use the text filters (writing shell scripts/Python to process my text)
constantly.

But the biggest ones are speed and stability. I type fast, and expect to be
able to jump around in a document tree, and see a live preview when writing
Markdown. Atom with a bunch of plugins is about as good as BBEdit for complex
code and regex work, but it's unusable on big files, can slow down to a dead
crawl, the syntax coloring can die and need a reload, and it's generally flaky,
whereas BBEdit keeps up and keeps working. It's the Terminator of text editors.

--
 Mark Damon Hughes
 <kamikaze.m...@gmail.com>