When it comes to AppleScript consider JXA (JavaScript for Automation in
macOS) -- in other words do AppleScript but with JavaScript, at which point
you can take advantage of BBEdit's syntax coloring.  Also integrates with
Node/NPM.

Some starters...
https://hackernoon.com/javascript-for-automation-in-macos-3b499da40da1
https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/a-beginners-guide-to-javascript-application-scripting-jxa--cms-27171