On 18 Apr 2019, at 18:48, Scott in Pollock wrote:

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 10:53:23 AM UTC-7, Sam Hathaway wrote:

Yeah, that’s the same thing. bbedit --maketags calls an embedded ctags.

OK I think I am starting to get this. So you have to run it on a directory with files from a dev language to index its various commands and functions,
etc..

That’s correct.

There is no way to generate a tag file for simple English terms I
want to add to completions?

If they’re all one-word terms, I suppose you could kludge things. Create a file called `terms.h` containing:

```
#define Albertopolis
#define Brobdingnagian
#define Pantagruelian
#define Zyrian
```

Run `bbedit --makestags` in the directory containing your `terms.h` and then copy the resulting `tags` file to wherever it is that BBEdit wants it.

I haven’t tested this but it’s probably worth a try.

I am stuck with creating snippets or using the
OS completions?

There might be some other way that neither of us know of!
-sam

P.S.: I assume Chris Stone could gin up some fancy AppleScript to bulk-add snippets, as is his wont.

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email
Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://www.twitter.com/bbedit>