I went through your blog and the links you have sent, and i do
understand your position. I have few experiences on open source
software development ( please have a look at my blog at
http://sameeramj.wordpress.com for an overview ), but still quite a
newbie.

On 3/15/07, Torsten Curdt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Well, last year wasn't such a great success but I would be willing to
>> mentor again for this. ...if it gets accepted a second year in the
>> row. (Your proposal better be good!) If you want to give it a show I
>> am more than happy to help.
>
> Thanks again. I am willing to give my best effort to this project

We/You need to come up with something quickly though. You are aware of
the deadlines? This is the place for the proposal atm:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007

I would also like you to read this

http://vafer.org/blog/20060908094521

The fact that you used this list to get in contact is a good sign :)

>> I haven't really had the time to test it - but it seems 1.5 support
>> is more or less there.
>> So support for 1.6 (with testcases) would be a viable project.
>>

> This is great. This will be a useful project, because people are
> starting to move to Java 1.6.
>
> Well... I need to study a bit on the class file format changes in Java
> 1.6 while getting familiar with the bcel and  IMHO, this will be good
> starting point for me to  start contributing to the bcel project.

IIRC there was already a patch for (some) 1.6 stuff.

Please be as specific as possible in your proposal. So having a good
overview of what to do *before* the March 24th

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topic=10729

is essential!! "I wanna add 1.6 support" is not good enough.
The more you show knowledge about what you are planing to do,
the more likely you project gets accepted. At least that's my
experience.

cheers
--
Torsten