On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 18:50 +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:

> If you want >1G, get a device which supports this.

This is really not an option.

First and foremost reason is that I like many others use a notebook with
built in hardware. So the option to simply replace the hardware is
unrealistic at best.

Secondly even newer hardware like the Acer Ferrari 5000, Asus
Lamborghini and many more now supports memory way above 1GB. The Acer
for instance supports upto 4GB RAM. Saying that there simply is no way
to get a working driver for that kind of hardware will only cause people
to rethink moving to linux and sticky with what works Win XP / Vista.

Now I'm no Win fan by any chance and I have been a long supporter, user
and hacker of linux since the days when the network drivers were still
embeded inside the kernel, back in '94. We've come along way since then
and I simply can't believe that there is absolutely no way of working
around this problem.

BTW. The Acer Ferrari 5000 still uses a Broadcom chipset for it's
wireless hadrware.

~Z~