On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 10:45:40PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 06:36:07PM +0100, Michael Buesch wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 January 2007 00:25, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > But while you use .v3, most people use the softmac driver without a
> > > postfix at all.
> >
> > I'm sorry. That's not our problem. ;)
> > That's either a distro or user problem.
>
> The idea is to define a standard so that all the distros use the same
> naming scheme. That way, we avoid situations where some distros document
> that people use one scheme, and people try to use that with another
> distro. The unfortunate truth of things is that most distributions don't
> coordinate with each other, so it helps things hugely if upstream
> provides information about how to define names. A simple note on the
> driver website would probably be sufficient, if you'd prefer not to
> enforce this in the code.

Defining standards is a bad way in Open Source. I think we should offer
as much freedom as we can. That's the reason why fwcutter comes with a
large list of binaries, which are ready for extraction, instead of only
one candidate....

I would vote for a fwcutter option --autopostfix where the complete
version numbers will be taken as postfix. Then you can easily install a
bunch of v4 firmware files. But such an option makes only sense
if fwcutter was executed from a higher level distro fwmanager. I mean a
fwmanager which can set bcm43xx module options, print which fw versions
are actually installed, say which fw version is running now and switch
graphically between fw versions. But this is just a dream and I still
prefer commandlines. ;)

Martin