I use F7, and having had the same disappointing results upgraded my kernel.
IF YOU USE NVIDIA VIDEO DRIVERS DO THIS ONLY AFTER FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURE BELOW MY SIGNATURE

Building the latest Larry Linville kernel on F7 systems:

# cd /usr/src
# git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-dev.git
# ln wireless-dev linux
# cd /usr/src/linux
# cp /usr/src/kernels/2.6.21-1.3228.fc7-x86_64/.config ./.config
# make clean
# make oldconfig
(Answer the questions any way you like... hitting enter a bunch of times works.)
# grep -i bcm43xx .config (mine is included below)
# time nice make bzImage                (mine takes 9 min)
# time nice make modules                (mine takes 44 min)
# time nice make modules_install  (mine takes 1 min)
# time nice make install                    (mine takes 1 min)
# sed -i -e "s/default=1/default=0/g" /etc/grub.conf

Note that in the future you'll want to do yum update --exclude=kernel --exclude=kmod-nvidia --exclude=xorg-x11-drv-nvidia until F7 releases a kernel which postdates 2.6.22-rc6 (likely that would be 2.6.22 ;-)

Then reboot... your new kernel will work much better with your wireless driver. If you're using a proprietary driver for your graphics card, see the note below.

Ehud

Here's my .config section, and for future searches F7 .config for kernel 2.6.22-rc6 wireless-dev
# grep -i bcm43xx .config
CONFIG_BCM43XX=m
CONFIG_BCM43XX_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_BCM43XX_DMA=y
CONFIG_BCM43XX_PIO=y
CONFIG_BCM43XX_DMA_AND_PIO_MODE=y
# CONFIG_BCM43XX_DMA_MODE is not set
# CONFIG_BCM43XX_PIO_MODE is not set
CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211=m
CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211_PCI=y
CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211_DMA=y
CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211_PIO=y
CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211_DMA_AND_PIO_MODE=y
# CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211_DMA_MODE is not set
# CONFIG_BCM43XX_MAC80211_PIO_MODE is not set

Note on proprietary graphics card drivers and F7.... the Livna and the AT people are really nice about packaging these for the specific F7 releases. However, when you switch off to your own kernel you need to build those packages from source. Unfortunately the packages from the vendors (mine's Nvidia) put files in different places than the livna ones. So what I had to do was...

Nvidia Drivers on F7 with alternate kernel, hard work the first time, only one script to run after future kernel upgrades.
1. rpm -e kmod-nvidia
2. bring in the nvidia stuff and put it somewhere (I chose /usr/local/src/nvidia) 3. the first time run the whole thing and let it install its version of libraries, build a kernel module, etc. (Answer "no" to precompiled module and answer "no" to search website for precompiled module.) 4. make sure X works, and if you had "Desktop Effects" (compiz) enabled, check to make sure that works. The problems I encountered were on my 64-bit system the Nvidia installer wants to place the files in /usr/lib64/X11R6.... but the Xorg stuff wants it in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules... 5. make sure that the whole "Nvidia" startup in /etc/rc.d/init.d is gone. It will munge your /etc/X11/xorg.conf every boot. 6. ONCE YOU GET VIDEO WORKING JUST FINE, AND SURVIVING A REBOOT, only then do the procedure above to upgrade your kernel.
7. Once you reboot with the new kernel, you'll want to run this script:
#/bin/sh
# If the kernel version has changed, rebuild the Nvidia package...
NVDIR=/usr/local/src/nvidia
#
if [ ! -f "$NVDIR/kernel_version.txt" ]; then
  echo "No previous kernel configured" > $NVDIR/kernel_version.txt
fi

oldkern=`cat $NVDIR/kernel_version.txt"
newkern=`uname -r`
if [ "$oldkern" != "$newkern" ]; then
  # The kernels differ ... build a new one...
  arch=`arch`
  file=`ls -C1 $NVDIR/*$arch*.run | tail -1`
  $NVDIR/$file -sKN >$NVDIR/build.out 2>&1
  uname -r > $NVDIR/kernel_version.txt
fi

#end
Von: Larry Finger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Florian Erfurth wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# dmesg
[snip]
bcm43xx driver
<<<
Hm... what could be wrong? Did I forgot somewhat?
Did you switch back to V3 firmware? Check dmesg for any diagnostic
messages.
Yes, I switched back to V3 firmware. In dmesg only 'bcm43xx driver' appears.
O_o Ok, I should try to reboot, but I can't do that now. I'll try rebooting
later (maybe tommorow in the morning).

Thank you for your great help.
cu Floh