Background:
I have this problem with mac80211 based drivers, but not with softmac drivers.
When unloading the module rmmod never quits and this message is repeated in
dmesg:
"unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth1 to become free. Usage count = 1"
This only happens when logged in to kde, not in a runlevel3 terminal.

I have found that knetworkmanager has to do with this. If I have not
associated to a network through knetworkmanager, unloading works fine. If I
associate once, usage count in dmesg is reported as 1. If I associate 5 times
then usage count=5, etc.

I believe knetworkmanager or some tool it uses doesn't release a handle, but
that brings the question: why does it work with the softmac drivers?

Any suggestions how I can proceed to find the broken code? I don't even know
if it's knetworkmanagers fault, mac80211, b43 or something else.