I think this may be related.  If it isn't, my apologies for thread
crapping.  If it is, I'm willing to do what I can to help find the
problem and correct it.

I've had occasional troubles with all sorts of association related
issues, and the only solution I've found is to remove the b43 module and
reinsert it.
(modprobe -r b43 && sleep 1 && modprobe b43).

Here are different scenarios that are 100% reproducable:

FYI All of my house uses the same ESSID with the same WEP key and
different channels (1,6,11 from one end to the other).

If I move from the living room (Ch1) to the bedroom (Ch11) then I am
still associated to the Living Room AP.
***SOMETIMES*** a "iwconfig wlan0 ap off" will make it reassociate with
the bedroom AP
***NEVER*** does an "iwconfig wlan0 essid same-essid" do anything
***SOMETIMES*** does an "iwconfig wlan0 essid no-such-essid && sleep 1
&& iwconfig wlan0 essid origina-essid" works
***ALWAYS*** "modprobe -r b43 && sleep 1 && modprobe b43" works

If I move from the bedroom (Ch11) to the living room (Ch1) I DON'T NEED
TO DO ANYTHING.
All APs are buffalo airbridges with the same rev firmware.

I find similar symptoms at my Las Vegas hotel where I am this weekend.

Here are the exact symptoms:
1. Link quality reads 0.  No iwconfig command will fix it (most of the
time, sometimes the change of ESSID or ap off will fix it).
2. dmesg repeats: wlan0: authentication with AP 00:50:bf:b1:da:64 timed out
3. an iwlist wlan0 scan DOES show the active APs, but no matter which I
choose none will associate
4. I just upgraded to F8 and am now using NM to manage the link (most of
the time).  Most of the time it does work but every now and then (like
here at the hotel after I rebooted the laptop) it will fail to connect.
Symptoms #1 and #2 appear in the log, and the "modprobe -4/modprobe"
fixes it.

I'm not sure if this is a mac80211 or a b43 bug... and if anyone has
ideas to try I'm game.

Ehud