On Monday 07 January 2008 00:51:55 Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Monday, 7 of January 2008, Michael Buesch wrote:

> > > Most probably, because the people don't want that to happen. ;-)
> >
> > People don't want N-PHY support?
>
> Well, as it sometimes is said "the better is an enemy of the good".  If they
> feel comfortable without the N-PHY, why would they want it?
>
> Still, if you can add the support for it as a feature that doesn't affect the
> people's working configurations, no one will complain.

Impossible, sorry.
We are going to add support for new firmware, which will be needed for N-PHY,
or we don't.
And I think it's clear which way we are going.
What's the problem with all of this? Other drivers change firmware to
incompatible
versions on a regular basis. Look at ipw2200. There was a time when they changed
the firmware basically on every kernel release.
That wasn't a problem. Why would it be a problem here?

How the technical implementation of all that stuff works in the end
is not up to this discussion. Maybe we can support both firmware in one driver
for some limited time. Maybe we rename the firmware files once again.
I think it's likely to end up with a driver supporting 2 fw versions for a few
release cycles. But I simply can not tell you, yet.

I just wanted to tell people that a firmware change is going to happen soon.
Just informational stuff. Nothing people need to complain, suggest or argue
about.

--
Greetings Michael.