On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 01:25 +0200, Sandro Hannemann wrote:
> First, thanks for your reply.
>
> > I suggest that you try the driver from
> > compat-wireless, which is the latest driver backported to the recent
> > kernels: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download
>
> I did that. The thing is only, I get compile issues, which wouldn't
> bother me too much, as long as b43 would be working fine...

Still, you may want to report it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> The reaction on modprobe:
> # modprobe -f b43
> WARNING: Error inserting ssb
> (/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko): Invalid
> module format

It means the replacement ssb module failed to install.  It would be
under "updates" instead of "kernel".

> Well, I don't have pcmcia in my kernel config, because I don't need it.
> Is there a certain kernel setting requirement that I miss?

I believe there is no such requirement (although I haven't tried that).
If such requirement exists, the build system should report it.

I only see one reference to PCMCIA on the download page:

"Additionally, the kernel you're building for needs a valid ".config"
file, if it isn't present compat will assume you have PCI, USB and
PCMCIA built into your kernel and if not, fail building."

So, maybe your .config file wasn't found.

> Then I found a command "b43load" somewhere in the "wireless-compat" tree, but
> b43load complains about the same error as above and eventually loads
> the module b43legacy... well... which doesn't work...

It confirms that the installation was incomplete.

> > If it doesn't help, check the antenna connectors on the card if they are
> > accessible.
> It's a laptop from my work. I am not planning to open it and fiddle
> around with any connectors. Let's say, it is built-in and just not
> accessable.

OK, chances are it's OK if you didn't touch it.

> >  Also try ndiswrapper to rule out problems unrelated to the
> > b43 driver.
>
> ndiswrapper acts weired as well. I installed version 1.52.
> I did blacklist these guys: b43, b43legacy, ccb.
> I downloaded the windows driver and installed it. ndiswrapper seems to be
> happy:
> # ndiswrapper -l
> bcmwl5 : driver installed
>        device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: ssb)
>
> however, iwconfig says:
> # iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>
> basically, no wireless device showing up here (also the LED stays off).

modprobe ndiswrapper

> rendered that broken. I used to use ndiswrapper one year ago, at some
> point I switched to b43.

So, I guess b43 stopped working one day?

> Just one restriction: I'd like to stick to 2.6.24 for the time being,
> as the vmware-modules don't compile against 2.6.25 kernels yet.

compat-wireless supports 2.6.22 and newer.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin