On Monday 18 August 2008 09:41:10 Holger Schurig wrote:
> > I know, which is one of the reasons I don't use a Debian-based
> > distro. I want nothing to do with one whose stated goal is to
> > make it so difficult to change the kernel that the users won't
> > do it.
>
> Huh?  I use "make install modules_install" from my kernel source
> dir (which I usually get via git) and that works fine, as in
> every distro on earth.

I can only second that.
I simply ignore any distro specific kernel handling and override
the grub/yaboot entries as I desire. I also ignore any rpm or deb
for installing a kernel. I do it this way since the very beginning
and it works fine on debian and non-debian distros.

In general, I do always ignore the packet manager, but install
custom compiled software in a specific directory so it does not
interfere in any way with the distro packets.

--
Greetings Michael.