On Thursday 18 September 2008 20:23:21 Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008, Michael Buesch wrote:

> > > Ah ok. In that case b43 should do:
> > >
> > > send HW_BLOCK when the hardware rfkill state is set to block
> > > send SOFT_BLOCK when the software rfkill state is set to block
> > >
> > > But it shouldn't (and that change was the start of this discussion) send
> > > SOFT_BLOCK
> > > when mac80211 disabled the radio.
> >
> > I'm kind of confused. You say one thing and revert it right in the next
> > sentence.
>
> Ehm now you are confusing me.
> You state that software rfkill state is not the state as requested by
> mac80211.

Nono. I will try to explain it once again. It's really easy.

Think of b43 having two independent registers for rfkill. (the actual hardware
is different, but that doesn't matter. It's a driver internal implementation
detail).
One of these registers is readonly and it does indicate the physical rfkill
button state.
If that register indicates BLOCK, we can't do anything about it. The radio is
blocked.
However, we can still write to the second register and turn the radio off
through
that, too. We can also write to the second register to turn the radio on, _but_
it won't
physically turn on until the physical button is pressed and the first register
changes
to Unblocked.
So you say that rfkill should only be notified about changes in the first
read-only
hardware intication bit? If that's the case, it would be possible to turn the
radio off
through mac80211 calls (using the read-write register), but still have rfkill
think it's
unblocked.

--
Greetings Michael.