On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Michael Buesch <m...@bu3sch.de> wrote:
> On Monday 06 April 2009 05:26:33 David Ellingsworth wrote:
>> I've setup and configured hostapd with b43. For the most part I
>> followed the guide here: http://acx100.erley.org/git.html except that
>> I've used the latest wireless-testing branch. Airodump-ng shows the AP
>> to be beaconing well with an average signal of -49db, while my Windows
>> wireless client shows an average signal strength of -60db. Connecting
>> to the AP, however seems to be a bit problematic. When a connection is
>> established, the link is very unreliable and rather unresponsive.
>> While connecting from Windows XP I was only able to connect at 1Mb.
>> The stability of the connection is so bad that it usually dies within
>> minutes after connecting. Wpa_supplicant under Linux produces similar
>> results. Pings from the station to the AP show severe packet loss with
>> increasing delay for those that are successful (2000 - 4000ms). This
>> is all at a range of about 10ft from the AP while maintaining a clear
>> line of sight. I've found that enabling/disabling encryption doesn't
>> seem to help alleviate any of the issues. Running hostap with -ddd
>> occasionally shows the following output:
>>
>> STA ca:fe:ba:be:d0:0d sent probe request for our SSID
>> MGMT (TX callback) fail
>> mgmt::proberesp cb
>>
>> or a timeout between the station and the AP during the authentication
>> process.
>>
>> If there's anything I can do to help debug this issue, I'm more than
>> willing to help.
>
> Well, you know that lots of cards don't work correctly with b43.
> I bet you're using a BCM4318 flavor.

Sadly, yes, it is a BCM4318. I've tried moving further away from the
AP, as well as decreasing the txpower output.. neither seemed to help
any. I suspect something else may be the cause of the poor performance
that I'm seeing. I'll try to rule out the card as a problem tonight by
setting up an Ad-Hoc network under Windows XP. If I observe good
performance then maybe b43 is the issue... In which case.. I'll start
the painful process of comparing the Windows driver to b43. If I find
any discrepancies, I'll send them to the reverse engineers to be
posted with the rest of the specs. Then maybe you or someone else can
make the appropriate changes to b43.

Regards,

David Ellingsworth