On Monday 06 April 2009 16:03:11 David Ellingsworth wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Michael Buesch <m...@bu3sch.de> wrote:
> > On Monday 06 April 2009 05:26:33 David Ellingsworth wrote:
> >> I've setup and configured hostapd with b43. For the most part I
> >> followed the guide here: http://acx100.erley.org/git.html except that
> >> I've used the latest wireless-testing branch. Airodump-ng shows the AP
> >> to be beaconing well with an average signal of -49db, while my Windows
> >> wireless client shows an average signal strength of -60db. Connecting
> >> to the AP, however seems to be a bit problematic. When a connection is
> >> established, the link is very unreliable and rather unresponsive.
> >> While connecting from Windows XP I was only able to connect at 1Mb.
> >> The stability of the connection is so bad that it usually dies within
> >> minutes after connecting. Wpa_supplicant under Linux produces similar
> >> results. Pings from the station to the AP show severe packet loss with
> >> increasing delay for those that are successful (2000 - 4000ms). This
> >> is all at a range of about 10ft from the AP while maintaining a clear
> >> line of sight. I've found that enabling/disabling encryption doesn't
> >> seem to help alleviate any of the issues. Running hostap with -ddd
> >> occasionally shows the following output:
> >>
> >> STA ca:fe:ba:be:d0:0d sent probe request for our SSID
> >> MGMT (TX callback) fail
> >> mgmt::proberesp cb
> >>
> >> or a timeout between the station and the AP during the authentication
> >> process.
> >>
> >> If there's anything I can do to help debug this issue, I'm more than
> >> willing to help.
> >
> > Well, you know that lots of cards don't work correctly with b43.
> > I bet you're using a BCM4318 flavor.
> >

> Sadly, yes, it is a BCM4318. I've tried moving further away from the
> AP, as well as decreasing the txpower output.. neither seemed to help
> any. I suspect something else may be the cause of the poor performance
> that I'm seeing. I'll try to rule out the card as a problem tonight by
> setting up an Ad-Hoc network under Windows XP. If I observe good
> performance then maybe b43 is the issue... In which case.. I'll start
> the painful process of comparing the Windows driver to b43. If I find
> any discrepancies, I'll send them to the reverse engineers to be
> posted with the rest of the specs. Then maybe you or someone else can
> make the appropriate changes to b43.

4318 currently is not usable in AP mode due to low but (for AP mode) significant
packet loss in high transmission rates.
I doubt this will change unless Broadcom releases some code.

I suggest you just buy another card instead of wasting months of time on trying
to get this to work.

--
Greetings, Michael.