On 31 Dec 01, Rambler wrote:
> Hi Stephen  There is a method called Brix testing that a farmer can do
> himself. It uses a refractometer to measure suger levels in plants and
> fruit. When suger levels get above a certain level for each group of
> plants then you have reached a balanced soil energy level. A figure
> between 9-15 is my understanding. This is also subject that i would
> like to study this coming year. It is one of the means which Dan Skow
> uses in his book Mainline farming for the 21st Century to get his soil
> nutrient levels to balance and you can do it your self.

There is a good amount of Brix information at
http://www.brixpage.com. Note it is not just a measure of sugar
rather plant sap solids.

Rex Harrill has written a helpful book(let) which can be clicked
through to from the above website or
http://www.crossroads.ws/brixbook/BBook.htm.

The BrixTalk list is linked from the Crossroads website but because of
the unwieldy frames it maybe easy to go straight to it at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BrixTalk.

Further links at http://www.crossroads.ws/brix/index-page7.html.

HTH... Rex