>Hugh
>I have adeadline of the 11th for this article. Is it possible for you to
>return it edited by then?
>cheers
>Glen
>--
>Garuda Biodynamics - for BD Preps, Consultations, Books & Diagrams
>See our web site @ http://get.to/garuda

Dear Glen,

I returned it edited with that post. Here it is again:

>This is a truly a ‘free energy’ agriculture which Hugh is working
>towards.

"Brix can be very revealing. But it is a bit more complex than just high brix equals
high sugar and good taste with insect and disease resistance."

"Brix is a measure of dissolved solids, not all of which are sugars by any means.
Salts and amino acids enter the picture for starters.

"High brix in the morning generally indicates the plant has not translocated its
sugars to its roots and shed them to the soil overnight, feeding the soil food web.

"This feeding of (mostly micro) organisms in the rhizosphere believe it or not, is
highly desirable. If the plant does this it gets the soil food web stoked up and
cranking out highly elaborated nutrients. Probably the most important of these are
complex amino acids. If the plant gets its nitrogen as amino acids instead of nitrogen
salts, the assembly into proteins in the cells becomes rich and full blown as there
are no nitrogen salts to interfere. Then one gets plenty of long chain aminos. That's
mostly where the great flavour comes in for people. But for insects with their more
rudimentary digestion they greatly prefer short chain aminos and can't digest the long
chain stuff. So they leave such plants alone.

"If you have (relatively) high brix in the morning, then this is undesirable. Almost
surely it means boron deficiency, as the plant would otherwise respond, with adequate
boron, by translocating its carbon fixings (mostly sugars) to the roots at night--what
Elaine Ingam calls carbon shedding.

"When a plant sheds carbon compounds abundantly, at its roots, it really grows like
gangbusters. If you can get this going well enough you can grow corn as a soil
improvement crop without fertilizer while getting superior (in every way) yields. With
a BD program this is nearly a cinch. Horn clay is a must though, as it optimizes the
ebb and flow of sap between the root and the growing tip.

"High brix in the afternoon means your plant has been building an abundant inventory
of sugars during its daytime photosynthesis. That's great stuff, of course. But take
care to consider what time of day you take your reading.

"Also, sometimes plants will send their sugars to the roots in the afternoon if the
barometer drops enough, anticipating a severe thunderstorm. If you take your reading
just before such an event and get low brix, you have a healthy, with-the-program plant
that has adequate boron despite the low reading in the afternoon.

"So use your refractometers intelligently. They are great tools, and probably the
quickest way to evaluate low boron (which may be occurring in more than 70% of crops
in the US)."

amino acids) apply to all families of plants? i.e. do broccoli  or potatoes, say, shed
carbon from their roots?"

Hugh replied, "In general I would say yes. Definitely broccoli and potatoes shed
carbon. Different plants shed a different mix. Corn, for example, sheds a clear,
jelly-like mix rich in polysaccarides, which are polymer (chain) sugars. Lettuce,
which can be a vigorous carbon shedder, gives off a milky latex. Buckwheat sheds a mix
that really stimulates the microorganisms that make phosphorous available, while hemp
gives off a mix that stimulates those microbes that make potash available. Potatoes,
need plenty of available potash but don't give off the rights stuff to make it
available in a soil that is low in accessible potash. So potatoes give a much better
yield following hemp--if we could only grow it in the US! But from this I guess you'll
see some of the major reasons for crop rotations, cover croopping and the like.

"In general where sugars are being concentrated in fruit the plant is NOT sending
these to the roots. That's only at the end of the growth cycle, and by then they
aren't needed in the root zone anymore anyway."

Q.    "I have always read that Boron is toxic to many crops but "puts weight into hay"?

HL.  "Boron tends to put weight in anything from apples and pears to radishes and
beets. Without boron, calcium (there's the weight) is not fully accessed by the plant.
And, yes, rare though it seems to be, boron may be toxic. This is mostly a western
problem where rainfall is sparse. Boron is one of the most soluble elements in the
soil, and may leach easily if not tied up in living organisms. A good case in point is
alfalfa, which is particularly boron sensitive. When deficient its leaves will be
deformed, when toxic it's leaves will discolour.

In general one does not want nutrients to be soluble in the soil. That is a terrible
misconception promulgated by the fertilizer industry. What you want is insoluble but
available nutrients--which generally means keeping the micro-life of the soil robust
and healthy. I would call this a no-brainer, but most of moddern, university level
agriculture is looking for nutrient solubility in their soil tests and everywhere
else. Tch, tch! "

Best,
Hugh Lovel