Dear Will,

You said much that was good sense, brother. I don't think you will find any
BD feedlots, though there may be some BD farmers with cow/calf operations
that take their yearlings to the auction where feedlot buyers purchase
them. But most BD growers prefer to leave the horns on, and many avoid
vaccinations along with all the other things feedlots mandate, like hormone
implants.

The debate of germ vs. medium between Pasteur and Bechamp has been settled
in the mind of most government leaders the world around in favor of
Pasteur, even though on his death bed Pasteur acknowledged the ascendancy
of Bechamp's arguments that it is only when the medium is favorable for the
disease that the germ has any chance. Yes, there are germs. In fact, they
are ubiquitous. They are almost like God, everywhere and in all things. And
like folks do about God, everyone seems set on keeping germs out of
themselves. Only they can't. It is not so easy to be safe from the presence
of the dreaded E. coli HR 0157: 07. A couple years ago someone in the
swimming pool at Whitewater down in Atlanta evidently had a bit of diarrhea
one day and 5 other children came down with it from playing in the pool
that day. The perpetrator may have been unaware of causing the problem
because some people get only mild diarrhea from the bug, whereas it can
kill others. When I was a kid my father cautioned me about the dangers of
public swimming pools, but he also had the good sense to mention that if I
cultivated good health and didn't go swimming when I was ill I'd probably
avoid anything serious. And that was true enough as the only things I got
that were half serious were mumps, measles and chicken pox. I didn't get
anthrax and I didn't polio, though a couple people in my town had had
it--including my father. And I was vaccinated for small pox when I was
under two and didn't get that either. It wasn't until the Air Force that I
got pounded by every vaccine in the world. And I haven't the great fear of
"germs" that so many of my contemporaries seem to have, nor do I run to the
doctor for antibiotics when I do get some bug. So far as I can tell that
stuff is all way overdone. Now you may go to jail if you DON'T get your
kids vaccinated up one side and down the other.

North Carolina passed a law that a restaurant could not serve a steak
unless it was cooked at least medium well (no juice left to speak of).
Don't bother going to a steak house in North Carolina if you like a juicy
steak. But then, North Carolina passed a law making all food service wooden
chopping blocks illegal and mandating plastic ones.  For somewhere in the
neighborhood of 20 years it has been illegal to use wooden chopping blocks
in North Carolina. Scientific research however has shown that wood is
actually antibiotic as long as it is kept dry whereas the plastic is not,
and that both wood and plastic are good places to culture germs if they
aren't kept clean and dry. Of course somebody made a killing selling
plastic chopping blocks after that law passed, I have no doubt. But, I'd
also bet not a single legislator who voted for the law would acknowledge
any economic influence. I'm sure they would all claim to be on the side of
public safety, despite any evidence to the contrary.

I know, it is hamburger where this coli bug is a problem. Any time you skin
a cow that had any bacteria on their outside there will be an opportunity
for contamination of the outside of the carcass from those bacteria. All
the trimmings from the carcass will go into the hamburger and get ground
twice, which ensures the bacteria will be well distributed. But when a
steak is cut the interior of the steak is not likely to be contaminated,
and it will be subjected to some heat on the outside which is likely to
kill any E. coli on it. But to be "safe" North Carolina's politicos have
deprived all of the privilige to eat a rare, medium rare or medium steak in
any NC restaurant. But will they ban feedlots where the bug breeds? No way.
Their next step is to mandate irradiation of ALL meat instead. And they
will undoubtedly say it has nothing to do with political favoritism, that
it is ALL in the interest of public safety. Yeah, sure.

It's the good old story of the lady who swallowed a fly. Did she keep her
mouth shut after that experience? No way. Instead she swallowed a spider,
then a mouse, then a rat, etc. each one to "cure" the previous problem. It
wasn't long before she was dead. With governments like ours concocting
their "one size fits all" remedies we are in serious trouble. Yet so few
realize it. Most manage to keep their eyes tightly closed.

For example, if we wanted greater homeland security we should be promoting
greater regional and local self-sufficiency and raise food prices for local
grown crops by charging tarriffs on imports. This policy raised both Japan
and Germany to the second and third largest economic engines on the planet
only  a couple decades after being devastated by war. Have we taken note of
this in our government policy circles? Maybe we have considering no effort
has been spared to go in the other direction. It could be that such
determination arose from knowing what to avoid. In the process our economy
is in the tank after several years of devastatingly low grain prices,
nearly everyone is utterly dependent on the supermarket, grandparents don't
garden any more, kids don't garden and people on social security spend a
fortune on pharmaceuticals and are afraid that terrorists may disrupt their
fragile  and partial sense of well-being. As we have just seen the existing
conditions have been a bonus for the president to get his party in power
across the board. Here in my county we had record absentee balloting,
nearly all from retirees who spend their winters in Florida. Also in my
county, which fifty years ago was mostly populated by small farmers, now
has one organic vegetable grower--me.

The local slaughterhouse where I just took a beef has less and less
business every year. They have their own wells which are tested twice a
week for the dreaded E. coli and haven't found it yet. But they don't
slaughter any feedlot beef and only rarely a dairy cow. The conditions
aren't very good for HR 0157 here it seems. But people who eat hamburger
that's only partially cooked may get get diarhea from it occasionally since
most of the hamburger consumed is feedlot beef via the supermarkets.
Probably most people that get it get over it without knowing they had that
particular form of diarrhea. But old folks and kids might die from it. If
any had done so locally I think I might have heard as I think it generally
makes the papers. So far I haven't heard of it.

It would be nice if more beef was finished off on pasture locally here,
instead of most yearlings being shipped to feedlots. We have the cow/calf
raisers to supply all our local needs, that's for sure. And the beef would
be a lot safer and healthier. Instead Publix says they are irradiating ALL
their meats, and I expect other supermarket chains to follow. That way they
won't have to take a hit on meat recalls in the future. And they don't seem
to care that with the "unique radiolytic by-products" the meat will contain
as a result of irradiation will cause more folks to die from cancer and
other degenerative diseases. It'll be a slow death, and they don't seem to
think it will negatively affect their bottom line. I guess that will apply
to all their seafood too.  Too bad, since I occasionally used to buy sushi
at Publix when in Atlanta.

I don't seem to be all that susceptable to diarrhea pathogens. I could be
one that has had the dreaded 0157 coliform and not realized it. I had an
apprentice who got a campylobacter problem that she picked up from
collecting eggs and washing them--and then putting food in her mouth before
drying her hands off in between. A couple ounces a day of Louisiana Hot
Sauce for a few days wipes campylobacter out--much safer than the high
power antibiotics you would get if you went to the alleopathic doctors. Of
course they wouldn't make any money on the hot sauce (50 cents a bottle) so
they probably can be relied on not to prescribe it. Another farmer I know
had his son getting long term diarhea--so badly he finally went to an
alleopath, which as it happened his brother was. The kid took the
antibiotic cure ($200) only to relapse in less than three weeks. "What does
he do when he's well?" I asked. "Oh he's in and out of the chicken
coop--takes them up to his tree house and back. They're his pets." So I
pointed out that chickens are notorious carriers of campylobacter. After
identifying the source of the problem and a week on hot sauce the problem
never recurred.

E. coli, including the 0157 strain, survives on fruits and vegetables
somewhat better than campylobacter, which is quite difficult to culture.
There have been instances of contamination on strawberries from Mexico, for
example. Who knows how it got there. Fields hands? Irrigation water?
Uncomposted manures?

I would agree that not everyone is a fastidious composter and that it might
be possible to contaminate something like tomatoes or apples with E. coli,
including the dangerous strain if by some combination of poor composting
and poor tea brewing it was sprayed on crops. I doubt if it is anywhere
near as likely as contamination due to running beef through feedlots and
large packing plants, and we sure aren't considering closing those
down--though we SHOULD. But how good is government's record at doing the
right thing, the thing they SHOULD do instead of some perversion of it?
Back in the eighties people in our Georgia Organic Growers Association were
trying to get the government to set organic standards and certify growers.
I was unable to convince them of the folly of their ways back then, so now
things have to get a lot worse before they can get any better.

What government should do in this case is survey the existing methods of
compost tea brewing, find out if any E. coli 0157: 07 contamination occurs
as things presently go, develop guidelines for safe compost tea
applications that are based on science rather than politics, and offer
training if necessary. That would be a breath of fresh air rather than a
ham-handed you-can't-use-molasses-in-compost tea and for that matter you
can't use compost tea at all because it MIGHT lead to someone getting sick
from E. coli.

I realize that government officials can actually believe they are not
playing political favorites by targeting a fledgling movement such as
compost tea while allowing feedlots to continue their degradation of the
environment and the food supply. But I don't see it as anything else but
political favoritism. It's okay to manufacture and use millions of tons of
organophosphate nerve toxins and spray them on food without even labeling
it, but nix on compost tea brewed with molasses? There's all kinds of
political favoritism in that schema.

Rutherford B. Hayes said, "That government governs best that governs
least." and with that statement he dispensed with Reconstruction and took
the federal troops out of the South. He was also a not-by-popular vote
president, as he was made president by a deal struck in the electoral
college. Trust a Southerner like myself to remember that. I don't have a
Confederate flag, but I do think those who want to should be allowed to
keep theirs--as a reminder that they LOST that war. You might think they'd
get used to that fact. Among other things we are subject to gravity on this
planet, and gravity sucks. Better get used to it.

In the meantime I look forward to people privately finding out how to brew
compost teas without coliforms and devising guidelines for growers like
myself who don't look to the government expecting to see good things happen.

Best,
Hugh Lovel
Visit our website at: www.unionag.org