Hi Bob,

The Environmental Committee of the Northern Panhandle Greens is working
on a program on recent developments with GMOs. We are trying to inform
ourselves.  We have the videos "Not for Sale." about the patenting of
life and "Heartbreak in the Heartland," which I haven't seen yet which
is Percy telling his story.

I'm interested in The Seed Savers' Network, P.O. Box 975 Byron Bay, NSW
2481, Australia - Ph/Fax (02) 6685 6624 - <www.seedsavers.net>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  They have projects in Cuba, Ecuador, Bangalore&
Mumbai, India, Japan and the Solomon Islands.  They teach people in
their languages how to have a seed registry and seed bank for their
particular local crops.  Look at their website.  We could contribute
money to their projects.  For instance in the Solomon Islands they
maintain 4 demonstration & seed garden sites, publish bi-annual seed
exchange newsletter, run a community awareness campaign about dynamic
seed banks and conservation of local food varieties and organising
farmer to farmer training, and produce seeds for the relief of displaced
people.  They are working positively on problems in our paradigm.  If we
want to change the world paradigm and not allow the world to be
overtaken with patented seed, then we have to work on spreading our
paradigm.  We can't just be against something.

Compared to the Seed Savers' Network in New South Wales, Australia, the
U.S. is way behind.  I think that Oregon Tilth is working on this.  I
haven't looked at their website yet.

We are sponsoring a series of programs on sustainability, one of which I
hope will be Dr. Elaine Ingham talking about the Soil Food Web.  We hope
to get the county commissioners, the weed superintendent and the  weed
committee and so forth to come to such a talk so that we can start them
thinking about weed control in a new way.

We have to sustain ourselves financially, but we can be aware, teach
others and work as fast as we can to get where we want to go.  I know
the situation in the U.S. is way beyond our control, yet people act just
by buying organic food.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Best,

Merla

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "how much longer are we going to take this"....thats the statement of
> the new year.
>
> Perys situation is the (but one of many) story of 2003 and how do we
> stand with him/them?

     Bob Shaffer