I would start by looking at the dts file, for an existing LCD cape, in
/lib/firmware

You can modify it, compile it to a dtbo file, and then load it as a test
cape for testing. This is assuming you are using the 3.8 Kernel.

You should check out the hipstercircuits blog for good info on displays and
capes.

Louis