Hi,

First, I will like to say that I am new to this, but I had the similar
issue with NO USB SOUND AND NO MOUNT after update the Angstrom to the last
version (2013.09.04 version).
After first two trials to update (both by using the uSD flasher image) I
got the same issue like you describe. I searched the NET (and found this
post and others), but no one seems to have a solution...so I tried again,
this time without much hope...

So I did flashed the emmc again (using 5V 3A power supply on the 5.5/2.1
connector and NO other cables like network, usb, etc connected), then when
the 4 leds lights up and remain so for like 30 seconds (in my case took
about 52 minutes to flash...more than specified in most forums, not sure
why...) I took the power off, then removed the uSD card. The next thing I
done was to start the board by using ONLY the usb cable (I have another
one, not the one that comes with the board, but that one works to) and
connected the board to the USB of my Win 7 x64 PC via a USB external
powered HUB with 2.5A power supply. At this moment, the board started (also
started last times, but not detected by the PC as USB device) and after the
LEDs lights up in some patterns for about10 seconds, then my PC detected
the BBB board as USB device (usb detection sound, driver installation, etc)
and all went fine.

Now the board works just like before update: I can access it with SSH by
using only USB connection (no network cable), I can access
http://192.168.7.2, and so on. Next thing I want to have done is to use an
RTL 8188cus based Edimax ew-7811un WLAN stick to get WiFi connection  (this
is why I needed to re-flash the BBB since I killed the other Angstrom by
trying to have this working, so the board did not boot anymore after a lot
of install, compile, and so on).
It may be that your problem is different, but for me looked the same, so I
posted my experience here.

Hope this will solve your problem!

Have fun!