From:  William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com>
Date:  Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM
To:  <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
Subject:  Re: [beagleboard] Hardware watchdog for BBB

> I am still not sure why anyone would need / want all this complexity.
>
> Living offgrid, powered by solar panels which charge a battery bank, which
> then powers our home via an Inverter . . .  I am not sure why the same concept
> can not be used on the BBB.
>
> 1) Power the BBB via a small rechargeable ~5V power source.
> 2) charge this ~5V power source via AC mains, solar power, whatever.
> 3) Monitor power on the charge input, and when absent send a message to the
> kernel to shutdown / hybernate.
>
> Then, all you need is to make sure your power source can work a few minutes
> with no input power applied. Perhaps even double this value for "safety".
>
> The way I see things, there is nothing to complex about all this at all.
Not a problem when you are there to push the on button or reset your BBB
when it locks up. What happens when there is no human intervention and the
BBB is in some remote location? What happens during brown outs, power
surges, power fluctuations, auto reclosure operations, power bypass, etc?
What happens when you have 10K, 100K or even 1 Million devices running. Even
a 0.1% failure rate will be a disaster.

Cost is a primary factor so you cannot spend 10x on the power supply
(batteries, solar panels; really?). Batteries are expensive and have a
limited number of charge cycles, typically less than 1,000 cycles (less than
3 years). Actually, the circuit is even more complex because supercaps have
a max voltage of 2.5 or 2.7 volts, so you have to stack them. Now you need
an energy balance circuit to make sure all caps in series maintain an equal
charge. During power fail, the voltage across these supercaps decrease, but
you need to maintain a constant voltage, so you need a boost switching
supply. The switcher cannot start until the supercaps have a minimum charge.
I could go on, but yes the complexity is necessary to ensure a reliable
supply.

Your solution may be perfect for your requirements, but I think we are
talking about a different operating environment.

Regards,
John