I've implemented a forth language for the PRU to facilitate one of my own
projects.  It is available for others to use on github in hopes that
someone may find it useful.

https://github.com/biocode3D/prufh

Prufh will allow you to write code for the PRU in
Forth<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_(programming_language)>.
 This has the advantage of easier coding and debugging.  Because of the way
it uses data memory (and the nature of Forth) it also may allow you to
write larger programs than would be feasible in assembly language.  The
potential disadvantages are that code will usually be somewhat slower and
it is more difficult to calculate execution times.

Depending on how you need to use PRU, it may well be easier learn the
basics of the Forth language in order to use prufh than to write everything
in assembly.  But if there is anyone out there that already knows forth and
needs to use the PRU subsystem, I'm sure you'll like it.

Yes, of course, a C compiler would be useful to more people; but I'm not
capable of writing a C compiler in ~500 lines of perl ;-)