The original question was one of hardware. I can figure out the software
based on what I know and feel comfortable with. My question is: how do I
control roughly 20 relays, some that I need to set and some that I need to
'read', ideally as an interrupt when they close? I also need to work with a
couple of A/D inputs, mainly temperature. From the documentation that I
have seen, no cape can support that many relays, so I need multiple capes.
How do I do that? Can they be stacked? Can I use I2C to select the address
to 'write' to in order to energise the relay coil? How do I organize them
to allow I2C to select an address through multiple capes? How do I get the
power to drive a relay? TTL logic can't do that. These are my fundamental
questions. Where can I go to get the answers? I really want to learn rather
than be handed answers. I can deal with the software issues well enough, it
is the hardware decisions that are stumping me.