Interesting subject,

in my case I need the Pins used by UART 0 for something else.

In the file
https://github.com/jadonk/cape-firmware/blob/master/arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-bone-common.dtsi

There is a reference to UART 0 :

&uart0 { pinctrl-names = "default"; pinctrl-0 = <&uart0_pins>; status =
"okay";};

If i'm not wrong, to disable uart 0 on boot I just need to remove status =
"okay";

I heard that you need also to disable a service :

systemctl mask serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service

but I think that this service should be disable at the boot :

I discovered on internet (
http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl?id=3606), that you need
also to disable it in the kernel with :

CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE_CONSOLE=n

in the /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt file, there is this line :

console=ttyO0,115200n8

is it ok to use console=none ?

am I missing something ? does the service serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service still
working with that ?