On Monday, 10 November 2014 22:39:35 UTC-6, Brian Anderson wrote:

> DeKay,
>
> No, unfortunately I have not gotten back to this.  The BBB is my
> occasional hobby, and I have not had the time recently to get back to
> things.  And, I am finding it a challenge to keep up with the plethora of
> snapshots and kernel upgrades...not quite sure what to choose as a "stable"
> option so that I can actually do something useful besides flashing
> snapshots and updating kernels.

Exactly this.

But, I have recently made good on my threat to acquire some TP-Link
> dongles, so I will try things out when I have a chance (traveling this
> week, so probably won't get to this for a week or so).
>
> I am having WLAN problems similar to yours in 3.14: freezes, having to
>> manually bring up the link, etc.  Wired links work fine.  Did you make any
>> progress?  A couple of things I found along the way that might help you or
>> others.
>>

> I'd like to try my scenarios again with the latest 3.14 kernels using the
> TP-Link.  Have you tried the latest and greatest?

The latest 3.14 kernels, yes.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/beagleboard/beaglebone-black/e7RVYNowOEQ

>   Not sure I really care about anything any more besides the Atheros chip
> sets as everything else seems to be a huge waste of time.

The TP-Link dongle I have is Ooopsing my kernel right now  :-(

<snip>

> Interesting.  Guess I need to have a look at rfkill, thats a new one on
> me.  So, are you thinking that in newer kernels (beyond 3.8), the default
> is to not obey the enable on boot stanzas in /etc/networking/interfaces?
> That additional stuff is needed?  Can someone confirm or deny this
> assumption?  Seems a bit odd that this is necessary, but I suppose it would
> explain the observed behavior.  Has anyone else had this type of problem
> with enabling wireless interfaces in 3.14 kernels?

What I do know is that my eth0 was completed commented out after I flashed
my Bone with 3.14, yet the wired network interface came up without issue in
/etc/network/interfaces.  Now that I think about it, the image I flashed
for Jessie contains lxqt, so maybe there is kind of tool working behind the
scenes.  I'm doing everything from a serial console and might not have
noticed this.

<boots his Bone>... Ah, I see that connman is working behind the scenes.
Hmmmm....

>> I have a TP-Link dongle that causes the kernel to Ooops, and a
>> ZD1211-based one that doesn't see the outside world even after it gets an
>> IP address via me manually running "dhclient wlan0" on it.  I feel your
>> pain.

<snip>

> Could this be something with the gateway config having changed in newer
> kernels?  I can't remember whether I could get to the BBB via WiFi from a
> machine on the same subnet as I probably was SSHing to the BBB via a
> hardwired ethernet connection.  It might be interesting to see if you can
> access the BBB via WiFi from a machine on the same subnet (without a
> hardwired ethernet connection) if you haven't already done so.

Between crashes on the Atheros stick, I was able to get a network
connection by bringing it up manually.

rfkill unblock all
ifconfig wlan0 up
iw wlan0 connect essidname (my network is wide open)
dhclient wlan0

I later found I could also get the network going with the ZD1211 stick with
the old USB extender cable trick, but I got DUP packets out of it during a
ping.  Never saw those before, but Google says DUP packets are a sign your
network setup is a mess.  The Atheros stick, when it worked, never gave DUP
packets.