On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Walter Schilling <schill...@msoe.edu> wrote:
>> Good afternoon:
>>
>> I am getting ready to teach a class using the Beaglebone Black for a set of
>> college students.  Last year we were caught in the short supply of the black
>> boards, so I'm getting started  abit earlier.  However, I'm trying to figure
>> out the best distro and cross compilation environment to use.  Last year I
>> used a Ubuntu distro with the Debian image and while things went OK, there
>> were some quirks.  Based on feedback, I was planning on switching to a
>> Debian distro, and I started building a VM for them to use for this purpose.
>> However, it seems as if Debian is no longer including the
>> gcc-arm-Linux-gnueabihf package, and many of the sites have indicated this
>> is now obsolete.
>>
>> With that being the case, what is the current recommended cross compiler and
>> platform for Beaglebone Black development?
>
> So right now there's a binutils for armhf in debian jessie:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf
>
> However the "gcc" cross compiler is still stuck in sid:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/cpp-4.9-arm-linux-gnueabihf
>
> So once that migrates to jessie (if it migrates) you'll have matching
> armhf cross gcc/binutils/libs that can used to cross build projects
> for the bbb running jessie.

Based on:

This delay is expected.. So for users which to cross build packages,
running Debian Jessie on the desktop (amd64 only) and running debian
jessie on the bbb (1), they'll have matching gcc/lib/etc..

1: http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Jessie_Snapshot

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/