If this is for automotive ,systemd is not so useful
last mode is required when in automotive enviroment
while as I know systemd can not turnning boot sequence for different
modules
If not about automotive ,skip this .
And,if only talking about 0.5s or 1s , its only about u-boot and kernel

what I test in imx 6 , whats' my test result is boot from nand slc onfi1@80M

Arm@800M with 16bit DDR@400m

unless you remove kernel printk, its possible boot less than 1s

remove any print out from serial ,boot loader turn mmu can cache on

load kernel with uncompressed and make small than 4M,without prink

actually I remove lots of in kernel .the best time is about less than 1s