Hello everybody,

After I and my colleagues had fruitlessly tried many things, our hardware
developer came up with a working solution: delaying the PHY initialization
performed by the U-Boot we use (v2014.10, git checksum
c43fd23cf619856b0763a64a6a3bcf3663058c49). This ensured that U-Boot code
tried to access LAN8710A only after this chip had come out of reset. So,
inserting "udelay(1000000);" at the beginning of "board_eth_init()"
function in board/ti/am335x/board.c and recompiling U-Boot worked in our
experiments.

We haven't yet done many experiments, but at least the board, whose PHY
failed almost every time before, always starts successfully now. I would
appreciate if you repeat this experiment with the delayed PHY
initialization and report the results here.

I guess the problem was, as described in the reply from Texas Instruments
mentioned
by Micka
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/9mctrG26Mc8/2aova_Jd__EJ> (I
misunderstood that earlier), that LAN8710A starts to function correctly at
a slightly higher voltage level than the microprocessor, and may come out
of reset too late with respect to the microprocessor. This agrees with the
observation that a higher capacity on nRESET_INOUT only worsens things,
because it makes the slope of the reset pulse more flat, thus increasing
the time lag between the starts of the two chips.

@ c2h2: Thank you for your reply. As far as I understand, you delayed the
reset of the microprocessor with respect to the reset of LAN8710A by means
of some RC circuit, right? If this is correct, could you please provide
more details about that circuit?

@ Vince Caldeira: Could you please explain, why you marked the topic as
complete? If you know any better solution of the problem, please share that
with us.

Regards,

Alex