Hi Robert,

Instead of trying to port the patch to u-boot, I updated my kernel from the
BBB stock v3.8.13-bone47 to the latest v3.8.13-bone70. Then re-doing the
power on/off test right now. Currently there are about 200 times power
cycling and 8 times u-boot reported "Phy 0 not found". But for all those 8
times the v3.8.13-bone70 kernel successfully started the Ethernet
interface.

With the stock v3.8.13-bone47 kernel version, every time u-boot reports the
"Phy 0 not found" error, then kernel can not successfully start the
Ethernet interface either.

So seems that this problem is solved in the v3.8.13-bone70 kernel version.

John Zhang