If you look at the commands I gave above they are denoted with a '#' prior
to the command. This indicates that root is required for these commands to
operate properly.

$ indicates regular / unprivileged user.
# indicates substitute / privileged user.

You can also use sudo most of the time for various commands, and you can
even add the user to the sudoers file, so that they can execute the / a
command without having to enter a passwd . . . ever.