You don't get a choice.  CAN *requires* a transceiver to convert from the
TX/RX signals on the Beaglebone into the differential bus
dominant/recessive that is the physical layer for CAN.

In addition, you must have *TWO* can nodes in order to test communication.
 CAN *requires* an ACK before it will release the transmit buffer.

I would really suggest that you start with something simpler like SPI or
I2C (both of which can be used directly off of the Beaglebone connectors).
 CAN isn't hard, but it's not for beginners either.

If you just want to play with the CAN protocol, use the Linux virtual can
drivers.  However, those won't put any signals "on the wire" so to speak as
they truly are "virtual".

Side note: wireshark is capable of decoding CAN packets and even the
SocketCAN protocol!