I have installed right angle connectors on most of my BBB, so that the
serial console connector comes out the bottom of the board.
Works fine.  You do need to know how to solder to do this, without hurting
the board.  It will no longer fit in a case when you bring
the right angle serial console connector out the bottom of the board, but
is great for development on an open bench.

--- Graham