> *With the newest Debian distro, whenever I do that, I get a message that
> the power button has been pressed, and the BBB simply shuts down after
> that. *
>

> Any ideas on what might have changed in the OS for this to happen?

Code I could not say what exactly has changed, but I can say the code in
the context of the button press NMI *has* definitely changed since.

 I can give you something to experiment with that may actually fix that
issue for you.

william@beaglebone:~$ sudo sysctl -a | grep nmi
kernel.nmi_watchdog = 0

If kernel.nmi_watchdog = comes back equal to 1 for you. Then simply
changing this to zero ( 0 ) may solve the problem. so changing the cmdline=
line in /boot/uEnv.txt to. . .

cmdline=kernel.nmi_watchdog = 0

Do keep in mind that this is supposed to be an x86 / x86-64 cmd line option
only, so may not work. But the sysfs entries are there, so I'm thinking it
should work . . .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqSzf2ZmF_2%2BNkvWRyTfkG1ZdGj%2Bor-topkmiGARB6ysg%40mail.gmail.com.