I haven't really looked yet at your overlay, but two immediate thoughts:
1. why on earth are you using an spi can controller when there are *two*
built-in CAN controllers already on the beaglebone?
2. you have cape-universal enabled, this conflicts with pretty much every
overlay (remove the cape_universal=enable from cmdline in your
/boot/uEnv.txt

BTW I made some utils to make the process of writing overlays less painful:
https://github.com/mvduin/overlay-utils
It lets you write them as device tree fragments and automatically converts
them to the structure requires for overlays. It also includes macros that
make pinmux much easier to read. No support for overlay metadata though, I
didn't bother since the new configfs mechanism to load overlays ignores it
anyway.

Matthijs

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/81412771-e2bd-44c2-ab16-f0d2417a3288%40googlegroups.com.