If the BBB oscillator is not running, then I suspect the processor is bad. If
you have two boards with the same issue, then I suspect the power supply you
are using is bad. One of the big issues with the BBB is it doesn’t like to
power down. Look at sheet 2 of the OSD335x schematics

http://octavosystems.com/octavosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/OSD3358-SBC-Referece-Design.pdf

<http://octavosystems.com/octavosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/OSD3358-SBC-Referece-Design.pdf>

You will see some protection circuitry at the bottom center of the sheet. This
ensures the voltage difference between the 3v3 and 1v8 is never greater than
2V. The BBB does not have any such circuitry so when the 5V drops quickly, it
is possible for the 1v8 to drop quicker than the 3v3 and hence killing the
processor. This happened to me and I had to replace the processor.

The Beagleboard-x15 does have the same protection circuitry
(BeagleBoard-X15_RevA2.pdf sheet 4).

Regards,
John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/F9487415-C5DE-4407-9EA8-14B272257589%40gmail.com.