@William Hermans like you I won't be able to dig into the gory details of
more questions). I think I can say a few things without understanding all
the details:

It is correct (from detailed reading of the TI TRM) that 0x80000000 is the
physical memory address of the L3 DDR.
If Linux is leaving any physical memory unmapped, unused - that's a shame.
Wasted precious resource.
The PRUSS UIO driver allocates memory and exposes the physical address in
userspace. If this is not used, it is also a precious wasted resource.

Now comes the subjective stuff:

I'm going to presume that Linux isn't stupid, and not count on it leaving
permanently-allocated and undocumented physical memory addresses available
for those that know the secret handshake.
I will use the memory allocated by the PRUSS UIO driver to communicate
between userspace the PRUICSS.

If someone from TI/BeagleBoard.org responds with clarification on where I'm
incorrect, I'll adjust my position. As of now, for over two  years I've
been asking this same question and gotten no definitive response. Anyone
know who came up with the the am335x_pru_package examples?

Thanks for your input and replies. Much appreciated.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/dfbb7cc9-0bd0-4b4f-b05a-5cb59ae11878%40googlegroups.com.