Thanks, Robert!

However, those "loads" just copy kernel/dtb into RAM for subsequent use,
they are not going to change the CPU configuration at u-boot level. They
cannot turn on the USB power until the control is passed to the kernel.
That way works: I load kernel and dtbs from eMMC, but tell them
"root=/dev/sda1 rootwait" (i.e. USB drive), so the kernel enables the USB
power, then mount the USB stick. With this approach you cannot load a
kernel *from* USB drive.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/8fe903c1-9d73-42b5-888a-9b49653aaa56%40googlegroups.com.