Robert is right, it must be a u-boot bug, these treads below are evidences
of a proper (more or less) work in the past, in particular, the register
mentioned above, is defined.

http://u-boot.10912.n7.nabble.com/PATCH-v3-0-3-AM335x-Add-USB-support-in-u-boot-td127575.html
http://u-boot.10912.n7.nabble.com/USB-Host-not-enumerating-properly-on-AM335x-based-board-td196920.html

Since I'll be traveling the next 10 days, will not be able to try different
versions or look into u-boot's code...
Will report the results later.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/973910ef-a463-403e-a66d-e7c93af00948%40googlegroups.com.