FYI, I THINK I ran into something similar over the holidays when I tried to
fetch and build the 4.4.y and 4.9.y kernels using eewiki.  I tried both BBB
and BB-X15.  I ran into an issue with a build error in an assembly file
which apparently had to do with some kind of networking package.  The
kernel built again, when this package was de-selected in makemenuconfig.  I
was getting ready to post something on this, but then some time after
Christmas, I re-fetched everything using the instructions on eewiki and
everything built again....

Regards and happy new year!

Jeff

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/156de832-1548-4aee-b4ef-283f50ee96dd%40googlegroups.com.