Hello,

I just finished reading a lot of posts on the topic of starting up the BBB
and various issues that folks have had.  I didn't see anything that
reflected my situation, so I'm going to reach out in hopes that someone in
the group can cast some light on this.

I have a BBB with a custom Cape.  The Cape is designed to interface the BBB
to a cap-touch color screen.  The Cape contains the backlight power supply
for the display and the obligatory EEPROM for ID, addressing pins, etc.
Very similar to the BB-CAPE-DISP-CT43 <http://tinyurl.com/ybj9s68m>
available for purchase.

What is different in my case is that I'm supplying power to the Cape (5V).
The power then goes to the Cape connector on P9, pins 5 & 6.  This would be
equivalent to supplying power to the BBB via the barrel connector.

The BBB is internally booting (no SD, etc) with custom code.  I have
written the shipping code image into the board and I get the same results.

I've made several dozen of these assemblies now, and so far I have two that
exhibit this odd behavior.

The symptom:  The BBB will attempt to start, will shut down, and will try
to start once more at a rate of about once per second.  Sometimes this only
happens a couple of times, other times I simply give up after 60 of these
failed boot cycles.  There is no consistency to the number of tries a board
will go through.

I'm using a very robust power supply that meets or exceeds the PMIC slew
rate requirements.  The supply is capable of supplying 12A @ 5VDC.

When the BBB is attempting to boot, the blue LED adjacent to the barrel
connector (commonly referred to as the Power LED) will flash briefly.

There are occasions when a 'bad' assembly will boot without issue, but most
frequently it comes up in this flashing state.

I've checked for the usual suspects, bad solder joints, interconnects, etc,
without finding anything.  I know that my inrush current is on the order of
1.7 to 1.8 A at the initial startup, but that drops off significantly after
the caps are charged up.

Has anyone out there experienced this pulsing behavior and found a root
cause and possibly a fix?

One thought that I had was to monitor the bebug  port (X1), but is there
even enough up time to have this be useful?

Thank you to everyone in advance for your insight.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/8f22dd81-53cd-4a1d-b619-7b382fe9ee92%40googlegroups.com.