I have a fairly old (just coming up to 4 years) BBB running Debian 7
which I have kept up to date with security fixes etc.

It's used to monitor various things on my boat and runs headless with
remote ssh access to manage it.  Just about all of the monitoring code
is written in Python and lives in my home directory on the BBB.

Debian Wheezy is only supported until May 2018 so I need to move to a
newer version.  Will I hit any significant issues if I go straight
from Debian 7 (Wheezy) to Debian 9 (Stretch)?

I intend to simply get the latest Stretch image on microSD and put
that in the BBB (having copied software from the Wheezy of course) and
then install my existing Python code onto that.  I'll be doing it
'locally' (i.e. I'll be on the boat) so swapping microSD cards will be
easy enough and I can hit the power and reset buttons as needed.

Presumably I can use the Stretch IoT (non-GUI) image as I don't need a
GUI on my BBB.

--
Chris Green
ยท