On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> I have a fairly old (just coming up to 4 years) BBB running Debian 7
> which I have kept up to date with security fixes etc.
>
> It's used to monitor various things on my boat and runs headless with
> remote ssh access to manage it.  Just about all of the monitoring code
> is written in Python and lives in my home directory on the BBB.

root over ssh is now disabled by default, so remember to ssh in as "debian"..

> Debian Wheezy is only supported until May 2018 so I need to move to a
> newer version.  Will I hit any significant issues if I go straight
> from Debian 7 (Wheezy) to Debian 9 (Stretch)?
>
> I intend to simply get the latest Stretch image on microSD and put
> that in the BBB (having copied software from the Wheezy of course) and
> then install my existing Python code onto that.  I'll be doing it
> 'locally' (i.e. I'll be on the boat) so swapping microSD cards will be
> easy enough and I can hit the power and reset buttons as needed.

Debian 9, still has Python 2.7.x available.

Debian "10/Buster" "might" drop Python 2.7.x, and only have 3.x available.

> Presumably I can use the Stretch IoT (non-GUI) image as I don't need a
> GUI on my BBB.

As long as you aren't doing anything with "overlays" in the old Debian
7 wheezy image, it should be an easy transition..

Just ping us if you run into any issues. (and keep a spare microSD
with your old image. ;) )

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYjOmjJwd3DzqyJ8zNmyYOpwc2fprsGYP1Ma7hkxdRZWWA%40mail.gmail.com.