The default install is Debian and includes quite a lot. They're just isn't
anything in your home directory.

As with everything it's much easier with internet, but you can copy files
to a cdr and then load them on the BB via your host computer that you SSH
from. It's a pain but I've done it. Dependency management is hell, of
course. As you've seen so far, you don't need windows drivers, so you
should be pretty good.

Not sure what kind of air gapped network lets you just bring in images
willy-nilly, but you seem to have gotten around that so far, so look for bb
images which already have whatever you want. There is one with a graphical
environment pre-installed, for example.

Good luck. Life is always better when you can apt-get.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAGS%2B2h_9755XCxovVQFRmPvBAdi3RxRZUaBRGcGBj76oZibJWA%40mail.gmail.com.